Cache never seems to be called

Hi there,

I have an apollo endpoint which users use to search for other users names. I call this inside a NextJS getServersideProps, as follows:

const { data: users } = await apolloClient.query({
    query: searchUsernameQuery,
    variables: { input: { term, page: parseInt(page) } }
  })

This is then passed into a page route as a prop.

In order to test the cache is working, I added a console log to my backend resolver, searchUsernameQuery which just console logs out the term passed in. My assumption here is that if we searched for “bob” we would see a console log, but if we then searched for “bob” again we wouldn’t see a console log because this would be an identical call and the apollo cache would be hit first.

However, every single time I search for “bob” my backend is hit and I see the console log.

Im therefore assuming my cache is not working and was wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Just to note, I have the following set on my Apollo Server:

cacheControl: {
      defaultMaxAge: 300 // 5 minutes
    }

I also have the following in my Apollo Client:

export function createApolloClient(initialState = {}) {
  const ssrMode = typeof window === 'undefined'
  const cache = new InMemoryCache({ }).restore(initialState)

return new ApolloClient({
    ssrMode,
    cache
  })
}

@alex-r89 it sounds like your client side cache instance isn’t being rehydrated properly. In your browser console, you can always dump the contents of window.__APOLLO_CLIENT__.cache.data.data to see the loaded contents of your cache. I would suggest checking that to see if things are being hydrated the way you expect, so they can then be found by future queries.