Federated schema with local subgraph files

Hello –

We are working on a green-field project and we would like to start out by building a monolithic with schema federation. By that I mean, we would have a single code-base with multiple subgraphs that form a supergraph. However, each subgraph won’t be a service on its own yet. They will just be files on a single code-base.

Can we use the Rover CLI compose command to form a supergraph from local files representing subgraphs? Seems like every example I see at Rover supergraph commands - Apollo GraphQL Docs has a route_url field on the .yml file that describes the subgraphs to be composed. Could we leave route_url out and just have schema.file?

Thanks.

Did you solve this?

I am looking for a solution to something similar. I am using Federation with Rover very successfully, but I now have 3 new micro services to add that expose an API that i could fold into the federated service (one manages user profiles).

For a number of reasons putting a graphql service to each of these individual services is not an option and I don’t really want to create another graphql service we have to maintain.

So my thinking is to create types, resolvers etc within the federated service…