‎Monitoring a federated graph

Hey there! I have a federated graph and I am using Apollo Studio to try to monitor it, in the Operation section, i can find the queries and mutations that are executed in my federated graph but i cannot understand why those queries and mutations are repeated multiple times:

besides the id, what is the difference between them?
what does the “M” next to the query name mean?
is Apollo studio the only way to monitor the traffic to my graph?
how can a create alerts in Apollo Studio?
how do we build a dashboard to monitor traffic?

Hey there! I put a few answers below after each of your questions, please let me know if I can help further.

i cannot understand why those queries and mutations are repeated multiple times. besides the id, what is the difference between them?

The short answer is if anything is different (e.g., field order) they will get a different ID. Check out the docs on operation signatures for more information here.

what does the “M” next to the query name mean?

I’m not sure, do you have a screenshot to share of the “M”? My guess is that it’s indicating a mutation.

is Apollo studio the only way to monitor the traffic to my graph?

If you are on a serverless plan, yes, the cloud router only sends metrics to Studio. If you are self-hosting the router, then you can configure metrics a number of ways.

how can a create alerts in Apollo Studio?

There are a few notifications you can set up, I think you’re looking for performance alerts, which are experimental.

how do we build a dashboard to monitor traffic?

I don’t think you can customize the built in dashboards, but if there’s anything you’re looking for that isn’t included, let us know!