ReadQuery does not get updates made by WriteFragment

Hi,
On the browser, I am trying to use Apollo cache like a state container; would like to write some state to a Cache field and then read from it. I get data from a non-GraphQL source and would like to add to Apollo client cache field object when I get them, and then read from the cache later.

Say I want to write updated: true on a Cache field object called MyDetails: {}. MyDetails doesn’t have updated field in its schema definition. I update the Cache with writeFragment, with updated: true. And then I use readQuery to read MyDetails from the cache… I can see that the writeFragment is working, but I can’t see updated field upon readQuery… I used @client directive in my query as well (like updated @client, but it won’t pull l the data from the cache…

Do I need to define a type policy for the updated field that I am adding to the cache? If yes, what should the type policy return for it, as it is not a derived data, it’s literally the data that I put in the cache.

PS. I don’t want to use reactive variables for this, non-GraphQL source will give me so much data to keep in relation to GraphQL fields, so I would like to keep them in the GraphQL cache under each field object.

I actually resolved this by adding a type policy for updated field as below:

cache: new InMemoryCache({
  typePolicies: {
    MyDetails: {
      fields: {
        updated: {
          read(existing) {
            return existing;
          },
        },
      },
    },
  },
}),

Would appreciate hearing if there are other ways to go about it.