Apollo iOS Dictionary JSONStandardTypeConversions fatalError

As we query data from our server, we often deal with types of JSONObject which is a custom scalar of [String: JSONValue]. JSONValue is a type alias for Any. Our query looks something like this:

query QueryName($input: Intput!) {
  resource{
    user {
      values(projections: $input)
    }
  }
}

This values object returns a JSONObject and the query functions perfectly using the Android library. However, working on the iOS library, we run into a failure while parsing the Dictionary.

extension Dictionary: JSONEncodable {
  public var jsonValue: JSONValue {
    return jsonObject
  }

public var jsonObject: JSONObject {
    var jsonObject = JSONObject(minimumCapacity: count)
    for (key, value) in self {
      if case let (key as String, value as JSONEncodable) = (key, value) {
        jsonObject[key] = value.jsonValue
      } else {
        fatalError("Dictionary is only JSONEncodable if Value is (and if Key is String)") // We run into this fatalError
      }
    }
    return jsonObject
  }
}

This fatalError is called when trying to parse the following key-value pair:

key	String	"pk"	
value __NSCFString	"user#userID"	

This seems to be an issue with casting the Objective-C CFString to NSString, but why would the string be in that format specifically when the backend simply sends a string?

What extensions do I need to add to be able to successfully parse a type of NSCFString and NSCFNumber (getting the same error with the number type).

We use SPM for our package management and are on Apollo-iOS version 0.53.0

Hi @adam-ure, I’m not sure what you mean by

but why would the string be in that format specifically when the backend simply sends a string?

What format are you referring to?

The question I’m referring to is the __NSCFString data type.

In order to get around this fatalError, I’ve simply imported a local copy of the Apollo system, removing the fatalError and manually casting to a String, which works for me. There seems to be some issue with casting __NSCFString to String prior to attempting to cast to the Dictionary.