Help for Lift-off part 1 Odyssey course

Hello @Raph,

I signed up with the email flow and I can access Studio and everything works as expected.

Great thanks for trying. At least now you can complete the course! And that narrows down the problem to the github signup flow. Weā€™ll investigate. Hope you have fun with the course!

1 Like

Thank you for your help and glad to have found a bug !

1 Like

Really new to all this, but excited by the technology ā€” I just cloned the repository and tired to install dependencies and run the app, but i get the following error ā€” command not found: npm

Figured this out ā€” Needed to install a version of React / Node.js.

https://reactfordesigners.com/

Hey @h20ld3n ! Glad you were able to get it working. Yes, you do need Node installed. We mention it in the pre-requisites but it could be a lot clearer. Let us know if you run into any other issues!

http://localhost:3000/ is not found ā€” Iā€™m still researching how to correct but any guidance would be welcome :expressionless:

I am getting this message in Terminal

opensslErrorStack: [ ā€˜error:03000086:digital envelope routines::initialization errorā€™ ],
library: ā€˜digital envelope routinesā€™,
reason: ā€˜unsupportedā€™,
code: ā€˜ERR_OSSL_EVP_UNSUPPORTEDā€™

SOLVED ā€” I ran the following

export NODE_OPTIONS=ā€“openssl-legacy-provider

Hi @h20ld3n ! Yes that extra flag should work. Weā€™re in the process of updating our starter code repos to be compatible with higher versions of Node. Updating react-scripts to v5 should also do the trick!

1 Like

Hello all, Iā€™ve gone through Lift-off parts 1-3 and now reviewing ā€¦to be honest it is not completely clear to me where the client and server connect,i.e. they both set up their URIs on localhost ports but I donā€™t see the client referring to the server explicitly anywhere, hence Iā€™m wandering how the graphQL queries are sent ā€¦ is it all embedded in the useQuery React Call ???

Hey @lukwe! Good question, thanks for asking!

We set up the client-server connection in Lift-off I Lesson 8: Apollo Client Setup. When we initialized ApolloClient, we gave it a uri property, set to localhost:4000. Thatā€™s where our server is running locally.

And thatā€™s it, thatā€™s the connection! Set it once and forget it :slight_smile:

As for how the queries are sent from the client, yes we are using the useQuery React hook! It runs when the component renders, and we use the properties it returns to display either a loading state, error message or the actual data we want in our web client.

Feel free to ask any other follow-up questions, happy to help!