Have Rover break on breaking schema change

Hello,

I’d like to have the Rover CLI check command fail when there is a breaking schema change(deletion, type change etc), without using any of the operations data.
So it should be purely based on the actual schema change.

Although I understand why it uses current operations data for it, we don’t always have this available when prototyping etc, and it would be good to have it fail on purely a breaking schema change.

Is this something that can be introduced?

I’m going to add the studio tag to this because it’s Apollo Studio’s registry feature that drives this (Rover is the client to the registry). This is probably a question best answered by the Studio team!

I spoke with the team about this and there is not a low-effort way to do this today but they expect to have an option available in the next 30-60 days that I think will accomplish what you’re trying to do.

In the meantime, the only workaround I can contrive for you is that you could use Explorer or a script to just query everything a few times so that there is some data. Not sure if that’s scriptable for you. For example, 1) extract operations from client code-base (there are CLI tools that do this), 2) fill in the necessary variables, 3) run them using curl, 4) Run Rover checks? Just a thought. You might be best served waiting for the feature. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hope this helps in the meantime!